Sunday, September 22, 2019

Volunteering

So recently I have started volunteering with Sunday School and Wednesday night youth programs at my church. At first I didn't know how I would do because while I do have experience working with children through swimming lessons, but I am not always the best of getting their attention and keeping it while I teach lessons, or do crafts.

However, the first Sunday I was there went really well. The craft the children were doing that day was a craft I did a s a child all the time, so I knew how to complete it, while there were some of the parent volunteers who haven't seen the craft before and didn't know how to complete it. I was able to teach some of the other adults how to complete the crafts, and then I could help the kids complete theirs. It was actually a lot of fun, and I felt like I actually contributed.

When it came to Wednesday night, I was in charge of teaching about animals and taking care of pets. At first I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to hold their attention, but I was able to keep it, for the most part, during the whole time I was teaching. I did learn I have to be a little more authoritative while trying to discipline some of the kids, but over all it went really well.

One thing I was taught when I was at college, that life after college is more than just the job you do. Sure your job makes up one part of your life, but there is so much more that contributes to your life. What you do for volunteer work also shapes who you are, and it allows you to try some other activities that you wouldn't do normally at your work. I am looking for a job as a video editor, which doesn't really allow for me to work with kids. However, volunteering at my church allows for me to work with kids and pour into their lives.

At the same time, you are able to learn more about what you are good at. For example, I am good at working with my hands, and that came across when working on the crafts with the children. I also learned some skills I could work on. An example of this is when I learn that I can show more authority when I talk to capture and hold children's, and adult's attention.

So if you have a chance to volunteer, I would say jump on it, because it is a good opportunity to give back to the community, and to learn a little more about yourself. 

1 comment:

  1. Like Mother, Like Daughter. I was tough on the kids but they loved me.

    ReplyDelete

Three Most Important Women

So recently I have been traveling a lot because of different people in my life having medical needs and me going to help them. Through all ...